Headache | Migraine Treatment Clinic in Fairfax, VA
Our Chiropractic and Acupuncture Clinic provides effective, natural treatment that is clinically proven for instant relief and long-term prevention for migraines and headaches.
If you suffer from headaches or migraines, you are not alone. Over 50 million of us experience some form of a severe headache at some point in our lives. In the U.S, more than 38 million people suffer from migraines. Ninety one percent (91%) of migraine sufferers miss work or can’t function normally during migraine attack, and 59 percent missed family or social events.1 Whether you experience minor head pain or severe migraines, headaches can take valuable time out of your day and your life, and leave you searching for relief.
One way to seek relief is by reaching for drugs and other medications. Unfortunately, common headache medications do not address the root cause(s), and when used over long periods of time can cause unwanted side effects.
Our TCM migraine specialist provides a safe and effective approach to relieving headache and migraine pain, without causing harmful side effects.
Understanding Migraines | Headaches
Migraine attack is classified as primary headache, and it is a neurological disorder. Whether you have a chronic headache or the worst migraine associated with neurological symptoms, including light and noise intolerance, pain behind eye, nausea, vomiting, depression and irritation, the cause may be associated with a structural issue. When the nerves in the neck are irritated or compressed, they send disturbing sensory messages to the brain. This disturbed or heighten sensitivity of nervous system can lead directly to an acute headaches or migraines.
There are many factors in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) theory that may play a key role in the root cause of a headache or migraine. They are body constitution, emotional health, excessive work, social and exercise activities, improper diet, dehydration, physical trauma, and hormones. Headaches and migraines can also be diagnosed according to specific symptoms, times of occurrence, location on the body, type of pain, triggers and remedies which provide relief.
- Have you tried medications or Botox and found that your symptoms keep coming back?
- Are you experiencing side effects from your medicines?
- Have you almost given up hope because of poor outcome of many treatment options?
- INSTANT RELIEF – Yes. There is an effective, natural treatment that is clinically proven to provide instant relief and long-term prevention.
- Leading National And International Health Organizations Recognize Acupuncture To Be Effective In The Treatment Of Headaches.
TCM Acupuncture for Migraines and Headaches
Acupuncture and TCM takes a whole-body approach to health. A 2016 study published by the Cochrane Review concluded acupuncture treatments can relieve the pain associated with headaches. Acupuncture treatment can help to control or prevent migraines before they happen. Out of the 22 trials conducted, considerable evidence was shown that in addition to prophylactic drugs, acupuncture should be highly considered for migraine treatment and prevention.2
Traditional Chinese acupuncture specialist in Fairfax VA will take a detailed health history and perform a physical exam to determine how and why your Qi (vital energy) is out of balance and identify what type of headache you are experiencing. TCM Specialist will also attempt to determine what root cause(s) are contributing to the symptoms. By identifying and treating the underlying cause(s), not just the symptoms, your acupuncturist can apply the most effective acupuncture care for migraines or headaches.
Acupuncture should be highly considered for migraine treatment and prevention.3
|REQUEST APPOINTMENT TODAY|
What do you mean my Qi is Out of Balance?
An important part of acupuncture and TCM is the concept of Qi. Qi (pronounced “chee”) is the vital energy that animates the body and protects it from illness. It flows through pathways called meridians and provides nourishment to all the body’s organs. When there is an imbalance or blockage in the flow of Qi, physical symptoms may result. Qi stagnation may be the cause of your headaches.
During acupuncture treatment for migraine, in order to restore the balance and flow of Qi, your acupuncturist will insert fine sterile needles at specific points along the meridian pathways. Based on your unique symptoms, your acupuncturist will choose to concentrate on acupuncture points related to specific organs. Afterwards, your acupuncturist may prescribe a variety of self-care techniques further expedite your healing process.
It is important to remember that acupuncture for migraines or headaches is not a quick fix. Changes may occur quickly or over a longer period of time, depending upon your overall constitution and health. It is also important to closely follow care recommendations suggested by your acupuncturist. Whether it is one visit to address an acute problem, or several visits to address a chronic problem, your acupuncturist will create a treatment protocol that will maximize your healing potential.
Chiropractic care for Headaches and Migraines
Chiropractic care has a long history of successfully treating headaches and migraines. Our Fairfax chiropractor has extensive understanding of subtle issues occurring in the spine and the nervous system, which is very often the source of pain. The clinical important improvement was observed in 8-week course study: chiropractic was 57% more effective in the reduction of headaches than drug therapy.2
In order to find possible causes, our chiropractor will perform a thorough evaluation and examine your spine for issues of misalignment. Using gentle and non-invasive techniques, our experienced chiropractor is able to correct the this spinal misalignment (subluxation). This can provide almost instant relief and restore your long-term health.
Home Remedies for Headaches
Below are a few ways that you can participate in your own healing, by making simple lifestyle changes that may help soothe or even prevent head pain.
- Track those Triggers: Try to keep track of when your headaches start. Migraine sufferers may find it especially helpful to keep a diary of symptoms and possible causes. Triggers might include anything from eating chocolate, to anxiety or inhaling specific smells. Pinpointing these triggers—and avoiding them when possible—could help.
- Stress Relief: Stress puts a lot of strain on the body, and can contribute to many types of health concerns, including headaches. Talk to your practitioner about healthy ways to handle stress, such as meditation or breathing techniques.
- Exercise: Physical activity is an important part of any healthy lifestyle and is a great antidote to stress.
- Healthy Habits: Making minor changes can make a big difference in your overall health and vitality. Do your best to eat healthy, organic foods, and make sure to get enough sleep every day.
In conclusion, acupuncture and chiropractic care are extremely effective in reducing the frequency and severity of headache or migraine pain. By working with our practitioner, you will be on your way toward a healthier, happier, pain free life.
Call Our Chiropractic & Acupuncture Office in Fairfax VA to Request an Appointment.
- Otesa,Miles. Migraines and family history. Migraine.com, Nov 2010. https://migraine.com/migraines-and-family-history. [Link]
- Nelson, C. F., Bronfort, G., Evans, R., Boline, P., Goldsmith, C., & Anderson, A. V. The efficacy of spinal manipulation, amitriptyline and the combination of both therapies for the prophylaxis of migraine headache. Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics 1998 Oct: 21(8), 511-9.
- “Acupuncture for the prevention of episodic migraine,” The Cochrane Review, published June 28, 2016.